Saturday, August 8, 2009

Live Free or DYE hard

Today has been so lovely! It was a day of creation. Well, first of all, last night my mom, Quinn, and I went to see Julie & Julia. It was SO adorable, I loved everything about it. My brother likes to think of himself as the chef of the family, so he was particularly inspired by the story of Julia Child and decided to cook dinner tonight. It was delicious! Stuffed mushroom caps, a chicken/shallot/artichoke dish, and chocolate souffle. As for me, this morning I woke up super early to go yard sale shopping with my mom. Unfortunately, the selections were not great and people in NJ like to overcharge for their garbage. But I ended up buying 4 really nice Chinese style glasses for the apartment this year. They are red/gold/black and pretty. (You can see my lovely turquoise manicure in the picture as well.)

Then I was reading this blog about fashion and I just became really inspired to sew....SO I took some old fabric and an old tank top and made a collaborative design that resulted in a lovely little dress! It was rather difficult to complete due to my cats, who loved to lay down on top of the fabric or bat at the needle and thread. They are such assholes. I pleated the black fabric (I believe it is a type of silk) to give a voluminous effect. I'm still a bit of a novice with the sewing machine, so my stitches are a little askew. But as long as you don't look too closely, it looks kind of like one of those $50 URBN RENEWALS except FO' FREE! I still hope to sew one more skirt and hem a few dresses before the summer is over.


To end the day, I bleached my roots with some touch up hair dye that is took FOREVER and smelled really bad. I now have tri-color hair: brown, blonde, and red. But I don't mind. The ultra faded blue is now gone and my roots are copper as opposed to brunette. It's cool for now. I'm getting a haircut on Tuesday. Nothing too drastic...yet. Just a trim and some chunky bangs, since mine have grown out beyond the normal bang length. In December, I plan to get a haircut in a bob-style. I had a similar cut about 2 years ago.


It was a lovely lazy day of living free and DYING (my hair) hard.

No comments: