Saturday, September 18, 2010

London: Days 13-17

Lock Tavern

Before ever even coming to London I fantasized about what it would be like to have "my place", i.e. my own pub, bar, boozer etc.  I kind of imagined it being like The Winchester in Shaun of the Dead where you have a tab and the bartender knows your name and your drink of choice and you only have to walk around the corner from your flat to get there.  I've come to discover, that this doesn't really exist unless you're a seedy old guy in a seedy part of town.  Especially in the hoity toity neighborhood where we are.  Most of the pubs are uptight or have creepy bartenders or are super expensive and touristy.  However, even though I do not have the exact "my place" experience, I still think I have found A place that I really enjoy going to.  This place is called The Lock Tavern and we totally came across it by accident on our second day here.  It truly is an awesome place, though a little bit expensive.  On Thursday Christine, Fornwald, Pat, Chris and I went to a free DJ session by Mumford and Sons at "our place."  It was actually pretty fun.  They played pretty popular music and even though not a whole lot of people were dancing, we still danced and had fun.  Also, apparently Laura Marling was there (though I didn't see her) because she is dating one of the guys in the band.  I LOVE LAURA MARLING.  

High Tea
I saw my childhood friend Layla twice this week.  She really is quite a character.  The first time we met up we just walked around my neighborhood and ate sandwiches.  But the second time we hung out I met her in her neighborhood to go back to Bea's of Bloomsbury.  Once again, delicious scones and tea.

Notting Hill
Walked around Notting Hill today with Caitlin and Christine after a failed attempt to go to a friend;s rugby match and a second failed attempt to experience London's Open House event (basically a lot of archtectural structures are open for free to the public one weekend a year).  We took photos in phone booths, ate gelato, browsed book shops, and explored Marks & Spencer.  Marks & Spencer has the NICEST packaging ever.  We ended up finding these really interesting wines and cheeses.  My wine is called Lemony White Spicy Mulled Wine Zesty Fragrant and it is recommended that you serve it warm with a slice of orange.  Tonight we're going to attempt to dress fancy and have a wine and cheese tasting by the Thames river...but knowing us, we'll probably just drink wine and eat cheese in our pajamas while watching British television.

Archangel
Last night we attempted to go out to a club with other people from our program for the first time.  And it was actually pretty fun!  The club was right around the corner from our flat and they played pretty good music and we just had a crazy dance party for a few hours.  However, when I say they played pretty good music I mean they played music that I liked to rock out to in middle/high school, i.e. Panic! at the Disco, Blink-182, Something Corporate etc.  But those DJ ladies looked at me like a crazy person when I went to request bands like Outkast, Major Lazer, Dexy's Midnight Runners, and Bon Jovi.  HELLO!?  Best bands to dance to EVER.

It must seem like I go out and drink all the time according to this blog, but I assure you that this is not the case.  I am more of a dancing machine than a beer guzzler.

No comments: