Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Cooking with Keiran







So mama bear is still sick with a fever, which means I am still head chef in this house. Today I decided to make spaghetti with tomato sauce. Now as a normal and rather lazy college student, when I make spaghetti and tomato sauce I usually just plop a spoonful of Classico on top of my pasta and call in a night. But I've decided to be more adventurous with my cooking these last few days and have been making everything by scratch. (WARNING: makes a lot of tomato sauce.) Here is my recipe for the tomato sauce:

Ingredients
-olive oil
-1 small can of tomato paste

-1 large can of crushed tomatoes
-1 large can of whole peeled tomatoes
-1 white onion
-1 spoonful of balsamic vinegar
-1 spoonful of brown sugar
-salt

-pepper
-basil
-creme freche (optional)

Instructions (before all other things, put on some music. I, personally, chose a mixture of Best Coast and Florence & the Machine.)
1. finely chop the whole onion

2. sautee onion in olive oil in a medium/large sauce pan until it gets golden brown

3. add the cans of crushed tomatoes/whole peeled tomatoes/tomato paste and let simmer for a few minutes

4. add a spoonful of balsamic vinegar and stir

5. add a spoonful of brown sugar and stir

6. add your basil, salt, p
epper and any other herbs you may want, let simmer
7. (optional) if you like your sauce to be on the creamy side, add a few spoonfuls of creme freche to the pot so
that the mixture turns slightly pink
8. taste and make sure it's delicious
9. ENJOY!!!!!



No comments: